STEP AWAY FROM THE CREAM PEOPLE!!!
Seriously!! Don’t even think about putting cream in this otherwise you will be disowned by every Italian that you know (and those that you don’t).
Spaghetti alla carbonara is Rome’s most famous regional dish, it’s scrumptious,silky and super speedy to prepare. So if you’re in a rush, carbonara is the perfect 10 minute dish to satisfy that rumbling tummy.
Contrary to popular belief there is not an ounce of cream in this dish. Now brits tend to make (and by make I mean murder) this dish by smothering it in cream and adding a ton of mushrooms. Tell that to any Italian (especially a Roman) and they’ll look at you like you’ve just stabbed their nonna, the nonna would probably come back from the dead to tell you’re a disgrace as well. So to avoid any unnecessary bloodshed, here’s how to make it the proper way:
- Bring a pan full of salted water to the boil and add the spaghetti.
- Fry the pancetta in a separate pan with some olive oil.
- Separate 3 egg yolks from the whites and whisk the yolks in a cup along with some pecorino/parmesan cheese and black pepper. (Save the whites for making meringue)
- Once the pasta is al dente,drain and save the water.
Now these next steps are very important, all credit goes to my very talented (and handsome) boyfriend for the sauce because I’m hopeless at it :’)
- TAKE THE FRYING PAN OFF THE HEAT
- Add the pasta and stir
- SLOWLY pour the egg mixture into the pan whilst continuously stirring the pasta.
- Add a splash of pasta water to loosen the sauce
If you leave the pan on the heat, the eggs will get too hot and you’ll end up with a mess of scrambled eggs and pasta… which I admit, I have done many a time.
What you’re looking for is a shiny, silky sauce that clings to the pasta like this….
So enjoy!!! Spaghetti alla carbonara SENZA cream and mushrooms!!
Work that hob and Walk unafraid people!