Just a quick one this eve as I’m a bit busy with work =)
So this evenings dish is farfalle con spinaci or butterflies with spinach, you know, just your standard Tuesday night dinner, a few butterflies boiled with spinach and slopped on a plate….
I joke, I joke…
Although farfalle does mean butterflies in Italian it is also what they call pasta bows, so you can rest assure that no butterflies were harmed in the making of this dish. As I explained in a previous post, different pasta takes different sauces and farfalle belong to the group that need a rich sauce to stick into all their nooks and crannies. Now given that I’m a total spinach fiend I’ve decided to give you a healthy sauce option with incredible flavour which you can enjoy with a cheeky glass of white wine and a sprinkle of parmegiano ontop.
- 200g Farfalle pasta
- 250g bag of spinach
- 1 onion
- 1 peperoncino
- a bit of garlic (less than half a clove)
- splash of cream (optional)
- parmegiano/pecorino cheese
- First boil all of the spinach for 15 minutes, then drain but catch the water in a separate pan. Leave the spinach to drain in a colander for at least 10 minutes.
- Finely chop the onion, garlic and peperoncino and add to a frying pan with a splash of olive oil -let the onions soften for 10 minutes.
- Add some of the drained water from the spinach to the onions so that they don’t burn.
- Use the rest of the drained spinach water to boil the pasta, boil the farfalle for about 10 minutes or until al dente.
- While the pasta is boiling, put the lump of drained spinach on a chopping board and chop finely.
- Add the spinach to the onions – keep adding water from the spinach if it’s getting dry.
- Once the farfalle is al dente, drain and AGAIN, keep the water.
- Add the farfalle to the spinach and onions and stir well.
- Just to finish, add some parmegiano/pecorino cheese, a splash of cream (optional) and a splash of pasta water – stir until the sauce clings to the pasta.
- Serve with a sprinkle of parmegiano/pecorino ontop.
And there you have it, farfalle con spinaci (No butterflies included).
Work that hob and Walk unafraid people!