Who doesn’t love a good bolognese?
It’s the perfect dish to warm you up on a winter’s night, however I should warn you, it takes ALOT of love and care.
Italian bolognese sauce is nothing like the anglicized version (thank the pasta Gods) and if you’ve ever made anything like the image below (Italians look away now), you’ve never made proper bolognese.
It may look tasty but this to Italians is an absolute schiffezza.
Here are a few key differences between the Italian version and the anglo-version:
- First of all, it doesn’t and never will come in jar.
- Secondly, it doesn’t contain mushrooms.
- Thirdly (and most IMPORTANTLY), you should never put it with spaghetti, it’s absolute insanity.
So with those 3 golden rules in mind, why don’t you have a go at making a bolognese vera with the recipe below? Enjoy!!
Ingredients for 4:
- 250g minced pork
- 250g minced beef
- 1 box of pancetta
- 2 onions
- 3 carrots
- 1 jar of passata OR 2 tins of chopped tomatoes
- half glass of red wine
- tbsp tomato paste
- 400g tagliatelle pasta
- Chop the onions and grate the carrots then put them in a frying pan with a splash of olive oil
- After the onions have softened, add all of the meat and brown it
- Add the passata, tomato paste and red wine
- Let it simmer for at least 30 mins-1 hour
- Fill a pan with salted water and bring to the boil
- Once the water is boiling add the pasta until al dente
- Drain the pasta and keep a cup of the pasta water
- Bring the pasta to the sauce and stir until the sauces clings to the pasta
- If the sauce is too thick, add a splash of pasta water to loosen it
And there you have it! Tagliatelle alla bolognese (no spaghetti included) !
Work that hob and Walk unafraid people!