Have you ever looked in the fridge after a long day at work and found yourself staring into an empty abyss?
Yeah, me too!!
So this recipe will be a god send in your hour of need. When you’ve had so many things on your mind that you’ve forgotten to go shopping or just simply for those times when you can’t be bothered to stand over the hob for an hour.
Cacio e pepe (cheese and pepper) hails from Roma and is basically a carbonara without the eggs or pancetta. But don’t let the lack of ingredients put you off, all you need is some fresh pecorino cheese and cracked black pepper and you’ll have a taste sensation for minimal price and effort!!!
There is one thing I should say before we get started – DON’T THROW AWAY THE PASTA WATER!!!
It’s the only thing you have to make a sauce, so take good care of it!!
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 150 grated Pecorino cheese
- black pepper
- 200g spaghetti
- Bring a pan of water to the boil, salt and add the spaghetti – boil for 6-8 minutes
- Put the cheese it a bowl and sprinkle in lots of pepper to taste, then give it a good mix
- When the spaghetti is al dente, drain in a colander but remember to catch the water in a cup underneath.
- Put the spaghetti back in the pan, add the cheese and pepper and stir.
- Slowly pour the pasta water over the pasta, bit by bit. This should mix with the cheese to make a sauce.
- Once you have a silky smooth sauce, it’s ready!
- Serve with extra cheese on top and another sprinkle of pepper.
And there you have it! Cacio e Pepe!!
Work that hob and Walk unafraid people!!