Here’s just a little something to sweeten up your day!!
It’s not often that I get to make desserts these days as most sweet dishes require an oven and a ton of other kitchen equipment. Given that I tend to move country every couple of years it’s just not convenient to go cramming everything but the kitchen sink into my suitcase when I leave.
So I needed something mouth watering but simple enough to make with my ever so fancy, top of the range bowl and a fork.
Then one day while scrolling through instagram, drooling (and crying) at all of the cakes I’d never be able to make it finally hit me…
So take a look below at the recipe and make some yourself, they’re fluffy on the inside, crunchy on the outside and make the perfect dessert for all ages!
- half a cup of flour
- half a cup of milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 sachet of bicarb (or rising agent)
- 1 sachet of cream of tartar
- cooking oil
- A topping of your choice (I’ve used nutella and strawberries)
- Crack the egg into a mixing bowl, add the sugar and stir together.
- Add the milk and stir some more.
- Once the ingredients are mixed well start to slowly add the flour bit by bit and whisk with a fork . Continue until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Once the mixture is as thick as you want it, add the cream of tartar and the bicarb and stir through.
- Cover the bottom of a frying pan with cooking oil and place on a high heat. While your waiting for it to heat up, transfer the mixture into a mug to make it easier to pour.
- Once the pan is piping hot, slowly pour in the mixture into circles (about 3 will fit in a large frying pan).
- When the mixture gets hot it will start to rise and little bubbles will appear on the surface, wait until you see these bubbles before you try to move the pancakes otherwise they will turn to mush. (2-4 minutes)
- Once the pancakes look relatively sturdy (see photo above), slowly slide a spatula underneath them to free the from the pan and then quickly flip them over.
- Wait for a few more minutes for the other side to cook and then flip them again to check it is full cooked.
- Serve one on top of the other with your favourite topping ( I spread nutella on top and had sliced strawberries on the side)
And there you have it!! American Style Pancakes!!
Work that hob and Walk unafraid people!!