Two Hobs No Oven is back!!!
After a three month hiatus which included moving away from Italy and starting up a new life in Spain, I finally feel settled enough to start writing again.
Now although I do love Spain and all of the wine and tapas that comes with it, I’m feeling slightly Italy-sick. I long for steaming plates of pasta and risotto, made with such simple ingredients but also such love that I feel at home again.
So to ward off the risotto withdrawal I made a pumpkin and sage number just in time for Halloween! Take a look at the recipe below and give it a try, it’s prefect for those lazy autumn nights…
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- a three finger slice of pumpkin
- 2 white onions
- 1 clove of garlic
- a glass of white wine
- 1-2 litres of stock
- 4 sage leaves
- a knob of butter
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups of risotto rice
- 2 litres of water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Chop half of the pumpkin into small chunks and grate the rest then finely chop the onions.
- Add the pumpkin and onion to a large frying with some olive oil and a splash of water to stop it sticking.
- While the onions are softening, bring a large pan of water to the boil, add a vegetable stock cube and stir until it’s mixed with the water.
- Once the onions have softened, add a glass of white wine and the rice to the frying pan and stir for a few minutes.
- Add two ladles of the stock to the rice and stir. Cover with a lid and wait until the rice has soaked up the stock.
- Repeat this process again and again until you use all of the stock. The rice should expand and become creamy.
- Once you’ve used all the stock, add the sage leaves and season lightly with salt and pepper (not too much salt as there’ll already be a lot in there from the stock).
- Check that the rice has softened but isn’t mushy, once the risotto is creamy but still has a little liquid left, add a knob of butter a stir in.
- Leave to rest off the heat for a few minutes before serving.
- Serve with a glass of white wine and enjoy!!
And there you have it! Risotto alla zucca con salvia!!
Work that Hob and Walk Unafraid people!!