Now that winter has arrived and everyone is freezing their bums off, I thought it was time to share a recipe to warm everyone up!
Whether you’ve got the winter flu, you’re craving some comfort food or just can’t be bothered doing a big fancy dinner, this recipe is perfect for you!
I don’t know about you but I HATE wasting food and this recipe is great if you’ve got any leftovers from a Sunday roast, and if not, it’s seriously cheap and requires next to no effort at all 🙂 🙂
So take a look at the recipe and try it for yourself, it’s guaranteed to warm your cockles on a winter’s eve and cure those common colds!!
Ingredients (serves 4-6):
- Leftovers from a chicken (about 100g)
- Any leftover veg ( I used carrots, potatoes and peas)
- 1 onion
- 2 litres of water
- a handful of spaghetti
- salt and pepper
- rosemary and sage (optional)
- Completely strip a leftover chicken of all it’s meat, try and get as much as you can especially from around the thighs – THIS MEAT HOLDS THE MOST FLAVOUR.
- Bring a large pan of water to the boil and place the carcass of the chicken in the water – boil for 20/30 minutes. (This will take off any remaining meat and the flavour from the bones will make a seriously tasty stock)
- After 30 mins, take out the carcass and drain the water in a separate pan through a sieve. DON’T THROW AWAY THE WATER!! This will be used as the stock for the soup.
- Finely chop the onion and add it to some olive oil in the SAME PAN that you boiled the chicken in. Add a splash of water to stop the onions from sticking and sweat them for 10 minutes.
- Once the onions are soft, add all of the other veg, chicken and the water from the chicken.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper and the herbs and then let it boil for 20-30 minutes.
- Snap the spaghetti into little pieces and add to the soup – let it boil for a further 10 minutes.
- Give it a taste to see if it’s seasoned properly – if not, add more salt or pepper.
- Serve with some chunky bread on the side.
And there you have it!! Chicken Noodle Soup!!
Work that Hob and Walk Unafraid people!